We provide people with the knowledge, experience, competency, and confidence needed to get great jobs.
What Makes NCLab Unique In Vocational Training?
- NCLab uses a competency-based training approach developed over 13 years, and when trainees graduate, they have done hundreds of mentored hands-on mini projects and have gathered the EXPERIENCE that well over 95% of job openings require, not differently than if they had been in an unpaid apprenticeship. No other training vendor that we are aware of makes that claim.
- Applicants take a very detailed pre-enrollment assessment so they can be confident that they’ll be able to successfully complete their training and get great jobs.
- While other training programs expect individuals to have a strong math background, prior programming experience, and/or a certain level of formal education, NCLab training programs incorporate foundational training for people who need to start there, at no extra cost.
- NCLab training programs have a completion rate of over 70% compared to an industry average of 15%.
- NCLab's personal coaches help trainees develop soft skills that include problem solving, critical and logical thinking, perseverance, professional communication, time management, and adaptability, among others because employers place major value on soft skills along with hard skills.
- NCLab training programs map to industry-recognized certifications because employers place major value on them, not because they confirm job readiness; job readiness can only be earned with extensive hands-on practice, which NCLab training programs provide.
Comparing NCLab's Online Training To Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
If you would like to better understand how NCLab’s training programs are fundamentally different from MOOCs such as Coursera, Udemy, Udacity, and Linkedin Learning (formerly Lynda.com), please click here.
13 Years Of History
In 2010, Dr. Pavel Solin, UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) Professor of Computational and Applied Math, reached out to K-12 schools in rural Nevada to help them prepare students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). Recognizing the size of the need, he built an artificial intelligence-based training platform and overlaid introductory visual Computer Programming and 3D Modeling courses on top of the platform, as his first products.
These courses worked differently than the usual video-based online courses (Khan Academy, Coursera, Lynda.com, ...) which Dr. Solin found to be ineffective. In contrast to that, NCLab students actively engaged 100% of the time, learning through short tutorials and examples, and then immediately putting what they had learned to practical use, solving problems, and receiving instant feedback from the platform. Schools and libraries across Nevada implemented NCLab's STEM training. Schools in other states and countries followed.
In 2017, NCLab Data Analyst and Python Programmer training were commissioned by the Nevada governor's office to address the staffing needs of employers in Nevada. The resulting programs are now offered at all Nevada community colleges, at the University of Nevada, Reno, and at a growing number of educational institutions and organizations outside of Nevada.
In 2021, NCLab was selected by the State of Nevada's Workforce Development to assess and offer training to disadvantaged people so that they could take larger roles in the new 21st century digital economy. Other workforce development projects of various types have subsequently developed both in Nevada and in other states.
NCLab places a major emphasis on making graduates highly successful in their life after their training and it all begins with a pre-enrollment assessment that measures their compatibility with the training programs. As a result, enrollees can be confident that they’ll be able to successfully complete their training and get great jobs.
In NCLab programs, short bite-sized lessons are followed by immediate mini projects, which ensure that trainees gain experience and confidence with each new concept before moving on. NCLab surveys show conclusively that trainees love this way of learning. Success is assured for trainees willing to put in the effort to do the required work.
Instructional support and coaching personnel oversee and assist trainees throughout their learning process, and when trainees complete their training, they have in hand a professional portfolio to demonstrate their qualifications to potential employers. NCLab training programs map to industry-recognized certifications, and are continually being developed to adhere to additional certifications, in order to better assist NCLab graduates in their employment search.
NCLab programs are exceptional in the sense that they are proven to work equally well for high school graduates, college graduates, and working adults who have been out of school for years.
What Trainees Say About Our Training
Our training approach is very unique. What is most surprising is how people love to learn and how it provides them a feeling of accomplishment that doesn't happen in other training. To hear people describe their feelings about it, please click here.