Recommended age: 10+
The course tells a story about the friendship of a little girl and a robot. It is being taught at K-12 schools, programming clubs, after-school programs, and in home-schooling families. The teacher or homeschooling parent do not have to know computer programming. Students progress at their own pace with the help of hints, video tutorials, and a textbook. Gentle start and slowly increasing complexity of projects ensure an exciting and fulfilling learning experience for all students. The course includes an optional algorithmic thinking test (take it now!). The price is $50 for individual users, and $2.50 per student account per month for K-12 schools with annual subscription.
What is Included?
The course is fully self-paced. Students earn karate-belts and receive certificates of completion. After a game is solved, new game unlocks. The course comes with video tutorials, hints, and a textbook. Reading the textbook is helpful but not required.
Request Free Evaluation Access
Are you a K-12 school teacher? Request free evaluation access!
Alignment with Common Core Standards
The Karel Course is aligned with Common Core Standards. Read more…
New to the Karel Course?
This page will show you how to get started.
The Karel course not only teaches computer programming, but it also develops critical thinking and systematic problem solving skills. We will test you before and after taking the Karel course so that you can track your progress (optional). Take the test now!
Please visit the testimonials page. We also have testimonials by homeschooled students and adult learners. You are also welcome to look at unabridged emails where teachers describe their classroom experience with the Karel course.
Skills Learned, by Belt and Degree
The course consists of 11 sections (belts and degrees). Every section contains seven games that are dedicated to a specific programming technique:
- Together (White Belt): Simple logical problems, robot is guided with the mouse.
- RoboShop (Yellow Belt 1st Degree): Typing simple programs consisting of elementary commands.
- Library (Yellow Belt 2nd Degree): The repeat loop.
- The Journey (Yellow Belt 3rd Degree): Conditions.
- Fortress (Yellow Belt 4th Degree): The while loop.
- Freedom (Purple Belt 1st Degree): Custom commands.
- Warzone (Purple Belt 2nd Degree): Variables.
- Return (Purple Belt 3rd Degree): Python lists.
- Detective (Black Belt 1st Degree): Recursion.
- Secret Service (Black Belt 2nd Degree): Advanced applications.
- Hall of Fame (Extras and bonuses): Really hard problems.
We stand behind our product. If you end up not liking the course, and decide to cancel before completing Yellow Belt 2nd Degree, we will refund your fee.