Introduction to Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) and CAD Design Using Programming
3D modeling is an essential 21st-century job skill for science, engineering, architecture, design and art professions. Throughout this course students will learn visual-spatial reasoning as they build and transform geometric figures in two and three dimensions. The STL files created with 3D Modeling will put 3D printers and other production equipment, such as laser cutters, to good use.
This 3D modeling course is a one-of-a-kind, platform-independent experience that teaches 3D modeling using simple scripted programming. Our unique approach enables students to take full control of their modeling work and have a deep understanding of what’s going on with their models, as opposed to merely downloading and moving an object with a mouse. Students will learn foundations of Geometry, Programming, Logic, CAD 2D and 3D modeling in a fun, game-based environment.
Students will learn to build everything from their favorite fictional characters to advanced vehicles and drones.
Students will learn Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) and ultimately become prepared for a smooth transition into advanced CAD systems, such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Complete control and precision using scripting in simplified Python language (no previous experience required).
- Embedded Mathematics and Constructive Solid Geometry.
- Ability to import any public Python libraries and projects.
- Works with most 3D printers (export projects into STL files and print them).
- Free App to create any projects.
- Aligned with Common Core Math Content and Practice Standards, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Crosscutting Concepts, Science & Engineering Practice (SEP) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCI) with an emphasis on Engineering Design, and CSTA/CSforAll Computer Science Standards.
- Create, color, display and extrude complex 2D and 3D objects
- Rotate, move, and reflect objects about a point, line or plane
- Use axial, planar and rotational symmetry to simplify designs
- Reflect (mirror) objects about lines parallel and perpendicular to X, Y, and Z axes
- Use symmetry to simplify designs
- Solve spatial puzzles
- Use the properties of finite shapes to control accuracy and efficiency
- Identify repeating patterns and exploit them to simplify designs.
- Use Python for-loops and lists to create repeated patterns in 2D and 3D, vary color, and build objects with gradually increasing or decreasing dimensions
- Automate designs to create advanced 3D projects
- Create rotational Bezier solids, surfaces and shells