We provide people the knowledge, experience, competency, and confidence needed to get great jobs.
What Makes Us Unique In Job Training?
- Because we use a competency-based learning approach developed over 10 years, when trainees graduate, they have the practical experience that well over 95% of job openings require. Other training programs can’t make such a claim.
- Because our training is self-paced, trainees can learn anytime anywhere and they never miss important training because of their family and work responsibilities.
- Because employers place major value on soft skills along with hard skills, our personal coaches help trainees develop their soft skills that include professional communication, time management, critical and logical thinking, problem solving, perseverance, and adaptability, among others.
- Because we do a very detailed pre-enrollment assessment, when trainees enroll, they can be confident that they’ll be able to successfully complete their training and get great jobs.
11 Years Of History
In 2010, Dr. Pavel Solin, UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) Professor of Computational and Applied Math, reached out to K-12 schools in rural Nevada to help them prepare students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). Recognizing the size of the need, he built a practice-based training platform and overlaid introductory visual Computer Programming and 3D Modeling courses on top of the platform as his first products.
These courses worked differently than the usual video-based online courses (Khan Academy, Coursera, Lynda.com, ...) which Dr. Solin found to be ineffective. In contrast to that, NClab students actively engaged 100% of the time, learning through short tutorials and examples, and then immediately putting what they had learned to practical use, solving problems, and receiving instant feedback from the platform.
- Students learned at their own pace, actively, by doing rather than by being lectured to, and the platform instantly checked their work and provided feedback and help as needed;
- Students had to demonstrate mastery of each concept before moving to the next one (we call this “verified learning”);
- The instructors’ dashboard was updated in real time with each student’s progress, so that the students could each be efficiently guided and supported.
In 2017, NCLab Data Analytics and Python Development career training programs were commissioned by the Nevada governor's office to address the staffing needs of employers in Nevada. The resulting programs are now offered at all Nevada community colleges, at the University of Nevada, Reno, and at a growing number of education organizations outside of Nevada.
In NCLab programs, short bite-sized lessons are followed by immediate self-assessment exercises, which ensure that trainees gain experience and confidence with each new concept before moving on.
Instructional support and coaching personnel oversee and assist trainees throughout their learning process, and when trainees complete their training, they have in hand a professional portfolio to demonstrate their qualifications to potential employers. NCLab courses map to industry certifications, and are continually being developed to adhere to additional industry certifications, in order to better assist NCLab graduates in the employment search.
The training programs are constantly being improved, based on the feedback provided by the trainees and NCLab partners. NCLab programs are exceptional in the sense that they are proven to work not only for college students who are still immersed in the learning process, but also for working adults who have been out of school for years.
Our surveys show conclusively that trainees love this way of learning. Success is assured for trainees willing to put in the effort to do the required work.
To learn more about NCLab and all that it does, please click here.