Visual Intro to Python
Learn Python Through Art, Geometry and Robotics
Python is a powerful, flexible language that is easy to learn, easy to use, and has powerful libraries for data (including big data) manipulation and analysis.
According to the TIOBE index, Python is the 4th most popular programming language out of 100. Python’s popularity as a beginner-friendly programming language has allowed it to replace Java as the most popular introductory language at 39 top U.S. universities.
The rise of big data has created a large demand for Python developers as data scientists, since Python can be easily integrated into web applications to carry out tasks that require machine learning, deep learning and artificial intelligence. For example: Google, Dropbox, Pinterest, Instagram and Reddit were all built with Python.
The Visual Intro to Python course is an excellent visual introduction to the Python programming language. Students will learn fundamental concepts like for-loop, variables, functions, conditions, Boolean expressions, the while-loop, and lists. Students will also learn Python code syntax, formatting and debugging. Additionally, students will draw geometrical patterns and harness fundamental geometry, including angles, lengths, polygons, circles and arcs.
The Visual Intro to Python course consists of elements of robotics and engineering. Students will write robotics algorithms using LIDAR and color sensors, which are foundations of autonomous robots and transportation.
While the Visual Intro to Python course uses simple logic and is designed to be visual and fun, the programs are written in full Python syntax. This approach demands that students pay more attention to important details, such as colons, decimal points and parentheses. Such details often cause frustration for beginners, so it is therefore recommended that students take the Karel Coding course prior to Visual Intro to Python.
- Real, typed code from the first level of every course. Students of all levels learn real programming language with proper syntax and structure. No previous experience is required.
- Game-based and self-paced learning form the player’s journey, including well-designed puzzles and opportunities to tackle challenges with confidence.
- Embedded Mathematics.
- Ability to import any public Python libraries and projects.
- Works with most 3D printers and laser cutters (exports projects into STL files).
- Free App to create projects.
- Aligned with Common Core Math Content and Practice Standards, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Crosscutting Concepts, Science & Engineering Practice (SEP) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCI) with an emphasis on Engineering Design, and CSTA/CSforAll Computer Science Standards.
- Algorithmic thinking
- Typing single commands
- Running and debugging programs
- Loops (for-loop, nested loop, loop counter)
- Conditions and if-else statements
- Boolean values, expressions, and variables
- Python lists